Chevrolet Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

HELP: disconnect GM heater hose quick-connect

 
Jabs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2004
I have a Chevy Suburban that I'm going to replace the rear heater core
(leaks) but I have to disconnect the heater hose quick connects to it to
remove it. I've tried to purchase a tool to separate the quick connects but
no auto part stores in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area have it and
most don't know what I'm talking about. My GM service manual says I need a
special tool (J 38723) but none of the 5 GM dealers that I contacted carry
tools to sell. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2004
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:47:01 GMT, "Jabs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Chevy Suburban that I'm going to replace the rear heater core
>(leaks) but I have to disconnect the heater hose quick connects to it to
>remove it. I've tried to purchase a tool to separate the quick connects but
>no auto part stores in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area have it and
>most don't know what I'm talking about. My GM service manual says I need a
>special tool (J 38723) but none of the 5 GM dealers that I contacted carry
>tools to sell. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>



Get rid of this quick-disconnect set-up all together. Almost everyone
I know that has this type of QD set-up at the intake manifold has had
problems with either leakage or breakage of the fitting with the hose
into it or the soft metal fitting breaking at the intake eventually.
If your heater hose connects to the rear of the manifold and it breaks
you will be cussing at GM at what it takes to repair it if the fitting
breaks off flush into the manifold.
Just go to the hardware store and get a brass adapter and hose
fitting to install the heater hose to it. Works great and last long
time...
My 2 cents for what it's worth.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Yep, can hardly wait to take the one off my '99 Suburban's intake manifold.
I postponed it this fall as it just crusts over a little, but will probably
have to face the inevitable this Spring. Why, oh why couldn't it be in the
water pump, an inexpensive pump at that as was on my '95 Yukon 5.7 L TBI
engine, and not some outrageously expensive pump like on the Vortec!!! It
broke in that pump and I simply replaced the pump and fitting with hardly
any time/effort and everything was good as new at 75K miles. No more
worries, period!


"gm .net>" <none@none<nospam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:47:01 GMT, "Jabs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a Chevy Suburban that I'm going to replace the rear heater core
> >(leaks) but I have to disconnect the heater hose quick connects to it to
> >remove it. I've tried to purchase a tool to separate the quick connects

but
> >no auto part stores in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area have it

and
> >most don't know what I'm talking about. My GM service manual says I need

a
> >special tool (J 38723) but none of the 5 GM dealers that I contacted

carry
> >tools to sell. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
> >

>
>
> Get rid of this quick-disconnect set-up all together. Almost everyone
> I know that has this type of QD set-up at the intake manifold has had
> problems with either leakage or breakage of the fitting with the hose
> into it or the soft metal fitting breaking at the intake eventually.
> If your heater hose connects to the rear of the manifold and it breaks
> you will be cussing at GM at what it takes to repair it if the fitting
> breaks off flush into the manifold.
> Just go to the hardware store and get a brass adapter and hose
> fitting to install the heater hose to it. Works great and last long
> time...
> My 2 cents for what it's worth.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Glaenzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
when I did the heads on my 4.3, I disconnected it at the heater end and left
the manifold end hooked up

will that work on yours ?


"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8IiRb.67667$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yep, can hardly wait to take the one off my '99 Suburban's intake

manifold.
> I postponed it this fall as it just crusts over a little, but will

probably
> have to face the inevitable this Spring. Why, oh why couldn't it be in the
> water pump, an inexpensive pump at that as was on my '95 Yukon 5.7 L TBI
> engine, and not some outrageously expensive pump like on the Vortec!!! It
> broke in that pump and I simply replaced the pump and fitting with hardly
> any time/effort and everything was good as new at 75K miles. No more
> worries, period!
>
>
> "gm .net>" <none@none<nospam> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:47:01 GMT, "Jabs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >I have a Chevy Suburban that I'm going to replace the rear heater core
> > >(leaks) but I have to disconnect the heater hose quick connects to it

to
> > >remove it. I've tried to purchase a tool to separate the quick

connects
> but
> > >no auto part stores in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area have

it
> and
> > >most don't know what I'm talking about. My GM service manual says I

need
> a
> > >special tool (J 38723) but none of the 5 GM dealers that I contacted

> carry
> > >tools to sell. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
> > >

> >
> >
> > Get rid of this quick-disconnect set-up all together. Almost everyone
> > I know that has this type of QD set-up at the intake manifold has had
> > problems with either leakage or breakage of the fitting with the hose
> > into it or the soft metal fitting breaking at the intake eventually.
> > If your heater hose connects to the rear of the manifold and it breaks
> > you will be cussing at GM at what it takes to repair it if the fitting
> > breaks off flush into the manifold.
> > Just go to the hardware store and get a brass adapter and hose
> > fitting to install the heater hose to it. Works great and last long
> > time...
> > My 2 cents for what it's worth.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging Battery: Disconnect? (PeteCresswell) General Motoring 1 04-05-2007 01:13 AM
Battery Disconnect Switch for C-4?? Don Hardesty Corvette 8 02-11-2006 06:15 PM
1998 Tahoe 6.5TD Heater Hose Quick-Connect Leak Franko Tahoe 14 11-19-2005 08:56 PM
disconnect front end? T. Penick General Motoring 1 09-10-2005 01:48 PM
Chev 1989 4x4 heater core hose connections ? argos General Motoring 31 02-07-2005 06:29 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52 PM.